CHRISTMAS ROCKY ROAD
It’s not that I felt my usual Rocky Road Crunch Bars needed any improvement (though fiddling with recipes is one of life’s pleasures) but I thought they would benefit from some seasonal adjustment.
So, out go the Rich Tea biscuits and in come amaretti and – in the seasonal spirit – I’ve crammed in some Brazil nuts and glacé cherries (as red as Rudolph’s nose), along with snowy mini marshmallows. The fresh snowfall of icing sugar on top might seem seasonal enough, but not for me. So I add some edible glitter in Disco Hologram White.
- 250 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams milk chocolate
- 175 grams soft butter
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 200 grams amaretti biscuits
- 150 grams brazil nuts (shelled)
- 150 grams red glace cherries
- 125 grams mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- edible glitter
- Chop both sorts of chocolate small, or use chocolate buttons made for melting, and then put into a heavy-based pan to melt with the butter and syrup over a gentle heat.
- Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin to get big- and little-sized crumbs; you want some pieces to crunch and some sandy rubble.
- Put the Brazil nuts into another freezer bag and also bash them so you get different-sized nut rubble.
- Take the pan off the heat, and add the crushed biscuits and nuts, whole glacé cherries and mini-marshmallows. Turn carefully to coat everything with syrupy chocolate.
- Tip into a foil tray (I use one 236mm x 296mm / 9¼ x 12 inches), smoothing the top as best you can, although it will look bumpy.