Canadian Bacon Day
For meat lovers, there’s not much that is better than good old slices of yummy bacon! In sandwiches, fried up on a breakfast plate, served in pancakes, even served with syrup – bacon is the meat candy of the world and has more than its fair share of dedicated fans!
But, then, there are different kinds of bacon to enjoy in different capacities– and one of them is Canadian bacon, as it is known in the United States.
Many people think that Canadian bacon is a little more like ham than actual bacon, because of the way it is served. Made from back bacon and formed into a cylindrical shape, this type of meat is sold ready to eat.
History of Canadian Bacon Day
According to rumor, Canadian bacon may have once upon a time been known as ‘peameal bacon’. This is because the ham was prepared with brine and then rolled in ground-up dried yellow peas that would extend the meat’s shelf life. The versatility of the product led to it being quite popular and useful, especially for those who were in a hurry to prepare a meaty meal.
Today, Canadian bacon is still cured, but it is usually rolled in yellow cornmeal instead of the dried yellow peas. But the composition of the savory treat remains the same – cut from the loin and served unsmoked in thick, circular slices. This is a leaner cut of pork than standard bacon, making it a slightly healthier choice for those trying to cut down on the amount of fat they eat.
If you were to go to Canada and ask for Canadian bacon, you might be met with a few confused looks. In Canada, it is usually known instead as ‘back bacon’, or simply ‘ham’. If you just asked for bacon in Canada, you would likely receive the same streaky pork belly slices that you’d be used to in the United States.
Canadian Bacon Day was created in celebration and honor of this tasty, versatile meat from the land that is beloved for ice hockey, maple syrup, and, of course, this type of bacon.
How to Celebrate Canadian Bacon Day
Celebrating Canadian Bacon Day brings with it the obvious choice of partaking in a meal that includes (or, better yet, is centered around) Canadian Bacon. Most likely this will be eaten for breakfast, but it doesn’t have to be.
The great news is that even folks who don’t know how to do much cooking can make this simple pork cut into something delectable. Even the most inexperienced of cooks can make a go of it on Canadian Bacon Day!
Try these ideas for celebrating:
Serve a Canadian Bacon Dish
Canadian bacon is so versatile, there are plenty of recipes you could try your hand at on this day to celebrate this tasty cured meat. Because of the way it is prepared and sold, it is not even necessary to cook Canadian bacon before it is served, either, so it’s excellent for those people who are on a tight schedule.
Or, consider these other simple options for serving up Canadian bacon in honor of the delicious day:
- When in a hurry, simply frying up an egg and serving it with a couple of slices of Canadian bacon will be a perfect start to the day.
- Or place a slice of this tasty meat into a toasted English muffin with an egg. Add some hollandaise sauce for a super tasty savory treat!
- Other delicious options include folding Canadian bacon into omelets easily enough, or chop it into small squares and throw it into a pasta dish.
- Those who have a frozen pizza that’s looking a bit sad could also sprinkle on some cuts of Canadian bacon and tomato sauce to really jazz things up and go from boring to wow!
Give a Nod to All Things Canadian
When enjoying the delightfulness of Canadian Bacon, why not take time out to appreciate some other great things that this northern nation has to offer? Canada is known for more than just the obvious ice hockey and maple syrup! It’s a country filled with beautiful landscapes and some of the friendliest people.
Just a few of the things that people love about Canada include:
- Clean Air. Due to its natural forests, low population density, as well as a commitment to clean energy, Canada provides some of the cleanest breathing air on the planet.
- Scenery. Some of the most beautiful, unadulterated nature in the world lies in this country. From the snow-capped Rocky Mountains to Niagara Falls, from deep forests to sparkling oceanic coasts, this country offers much to be enjoyed.
- Diversity. Filled with descendants of immigrants, Canada is a fairly young nation with various languages and cultures that supply it with a rich variety and a welcome feeling.
Get Breakfast at Tim Hortons
While there’s no guarantee that all of the Tim Hortons franchise stores serve Canadian bacon, many of them do have breakfast sandwiches that contain this special meat. Since more Canadians eat breakfast at Tim Hortons than any other restaurant, it seems like the perfect place to soak up some northern exposure.
Tim Hortons locations can be found in North America, Central America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Enjoy Some Canadian Entertainment
While gobbling up a breakfast that includes this yummy cured pork, why not be entertained by Canadians? Some stellar comedians, musicians, and actors hail from here (and they are probably celebrating Canadian Bacon Day every day!).
Canadian Musicians and Bands:
- Sarah McLachlan
- Neil Young
- Celine Dion
- Shania Twain
- Barenaked Ladies
- Arcade Fire
Canadian Actors and Actresses:
- Ryan Gosling
- Cobie Smulders
- Seth Rogan
- Rachel McAdams
- Keanu Reeves
- Sandra Oh