WHITE CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO TART
This is your lucky day!
As promised, another green dessert is coming your way as we go all Irish themed this month. Of course, pistachios are not native to Ireland, but their delicate flavour combined with white chocolate create this beautifully vibrant tart that’s perfect for celebrating Paddy’s Day!
Deliciously creamy and fragrant pistachio white chocolate filling on a pistachio almond crust. This tart is creamy, smooth and indulgent.
THIS WHITE CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO TART IS:
- Incredibly creamy and airy
- Silky smooth
- Delicate and sweet
- Easy to make
- Perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!
LET’S TALK ABOUT THE CRUST
The crust of this tart tastes a little like frangipane! The delicates flavours of almonds and pistachios compliment one another so well, and form the perfect light base for this creamy pistachio tart.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST:
- Ground almonds: These are used in place of regular flour to give the crust flavour and keep it suitable for coeliacs.
- Raw pistachios: pistachios are mixed in with the crust to give texture, colour and flavour.
- Vegan butter: You can also use coconut oil, this binds the crust and adds richness and moisture.
- Pure maple syrup: Used to sweeten the crust and add moisture to help bind together the ingredients
- Sea salt: A touch of salt helps to balance the sweetness.
LET’S TALK ABOUT THE FILLING
The filling for this pistachio tart is incredibly smooth, creamy and silky. The creamy consistency comes as a result of a combination of ingredients that create the most luxurious tart filling ever!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- Vegan white chocolate: As well as adding flavour and sweetness, the white chocolate acts as the setting agent for this tart. This means that there is no need to use coconut oil, which is often used to set vegan tarts.
- Raw pistachios: As well as adding a deliciously fragrant flavour, pistachios help to create a smooth finish to the tart, as well as giving it the most incredibly bright green colour.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk helps to add stability and richness to the filling.
- Vegan yoghurt: Yoghurt adds a delicious cultured flavour to the dessert as well as giving it some lightness.
- Vanilla extract: This enhances and balances the flavours of the dessert.
- Pure maple syrup: You can also use agave syrup, or omit the maple syrup altogether, depending on the level of sweetness you’re looking for.
- Matcha powder: This is completely optional, but helps to add a pop of green colour.
LET’S MAKE THIS WHITE CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO TART
(full recipe and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page)
BAKE THE CRUST
Get your oven preheated to 175°C (350°F) before you get to making the tart crust. Then it’s as simple as adding all of the crust ingredients to a food processor. Add the pistachios first and blitz them to break them down a little before adding in the remaining ingredients and blending to a dough consistency.
Once you have your dough, you’ll want to press half of the mixture into the sides of the pan first, and then press the remaining half into the base of the pan (pictured below). Lastly use a fork to prick several holes into the crust to ensure air does not build up underneath it whilst baking. Next bake the crust for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned, then allow to cool (do not remove the tart from the tin).
PREPARE THE FILLING
To begin you will need to prepare the pistachios by soaking them. Add them to a large bowl, cover with water and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours). Rinse the pistachios with clean water and remove as much of the skins as possible. They should coming off easily using your fingers as the water will have loosened them. Tip: if you’re short on time, you can quick-soak the pistachios in boiling water for 30 minutes to one hour.
For the filling, melt the vegan white chocolate over a double boiler (bain-marie). A double boiler (bain-marie) is basically a heated bath. It consists of adding water to a saucepan and bring it to a gentle simmer. The chocolate is then placed in a heat resistant bowl (that covers the entire circumference of the bowl), and allowing the steam from the simmering water to rise up and gently heat the chocolate, causing it to melt.
Next add the melted white chocolate to your blender along with all the other ingredients for the filling and blend for several minutes until completely smooth and creamy. Pour the filling into the cooled tart crust and use a spatula to smooth out the surface. Place in the fridge to set for 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
White Chocolate Pistachio Tart
- 2 cups ground almonds
- ⅓ cup raw pistachios
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 4.5 oz vegan white chocolate
- 1 ½ cups raw pistachios soaked *see notes
- ½ cup canned full fat coconut milk *see notes
- ½ cup vegan yoghurt soya or coconut
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp matcha powder for colour, optional
- raw pistachios chopped
- vegan white chocolate melted
- fresh mint leaves
Prepare the pistachios by soaking them. Add them to a large bowl, cover with water and soak for 4 hour (or soak in boiled water for 1 hour). Rinse the pistachios with clean water and remove as much of the skins as possible. They should coming off easily using your fingers as the water will have loosened them
Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F).
Lightly grease the base and sides of a 9.5″ tart tin with some oil or vegan butter.
For the crust, add the pistachios to your food processor and blitz for a minute or so. Add in the remaining crust ingredients and blend until the ingredients stick together to form a dough.
Evenly press the dough half of the dough into the sides of the tart tin first, then press the remaining dough into the base of the tin. With a fork, gently prick the dough several times.
Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned, then allow to cool (do not remove the tart from the tin)
For the filling, melt the vegan white chocolate over a double boiler. Add the melted white chocolate to your blender along with all the other ingredients for the filling. Blend for several minutes until completely smooth and creamy.
Pour the filling into the cooled tart crust and use a spatula to smooth out the surface. Place in the fridge to set for 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
Once set, garnish with some more melted white chocolate, chopped pistachios and fresh mint leaves.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3-4 days.
* Coconut milk – refrigerate the tin of coconut milk overnight, then only use the thick cream from the top of the can.
The post WHITE CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO TART appeared first on Blog - DannaBananas.com.