It’s National Coming Out Day!
National Coming Out Day is an annual celebration which takes place each year on October 11th across many countries.
For National Coming Out Day and every day. Start your day with a smile! The Proud Closet Heat-Changing Mug transforms into the colours of pride when filled with hot liquid. Perfect for LGBTQ+ individuals and allies.
It was first celebrated on the anniversary of the 1987 Second National March on Washington for LGBTQIA+ Rights. Sharing our authentic selves with others is not always safe or easy, and we shouldn’t only do this on one day of the year. But this day is an extraordinarily powerful key to breaking down the barriers the LGBTQIA+ community faces.
How to be an ally:
- Actively defend LGBTQIA+ communities by taking action. Tell people that discriminating jokes or comments are hurtful. Vote for candidates and initiatives that protect equality. Donate to inclusive causes.
- If you’re unsure of someone’s pronoun or label, ask them respectfully. Try to use inclusive language like “people,” “persons,” or “partner” and keep an eye on any unintentionally offensive language.
- Read newspapers or journals that feature LGBTQIA+ news or issues, attend an LGBTQIA+ meeting, and listen to personal experiences from LGBTQIA+ people in your community.
- Assume that some people you meet and interact with are LGBTQIA+, and ensure you’re always creating a place of belonging where diversity is valued.
- Understanding your own privileges can help you empathize with marginalized or oppressed groups. While learning more and working to become a better ally, continue to advocate for the voices and experiences of LGBTQIA+ people in that process.
- via Hover