October is National Women's Small Business Month so let's celebrate! This annual event celebrates women-owned businesses and helps encourage more women to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams. Did you know there are more female-owned businesses than ever before? Danna Bananas is exactly that, a woman-owned, small business. We are really driven to learn and work hard everyday. We sell Fun Gifts, Unique Gifts, Funny Gifts(funny socks and funny mugs), Board Games and Toys , LGBTQIA2s+ Gifts, Retro Gifts and kitschy Kitchen & Bar goods. As you can see, there is something for everyone. Danna Bananas even has gifts to impress all the impossible-to-shop-for in your life. Your holiday shopping needs are solved! For one of a kind and clever Christmas Gifts, why not support a woman owned small business, like Danna Bananas!
Yes, October marks the official celebration of women in small business, but why not support female entrepreneurs all year around.
Recently, I was interviewed by Subkit. I thank you for this feature about my entrepreneurial journey thus far.
Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Danna, Owner of Danna Bananas, located in Pickering, ON, Canada.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Our business is Danna Bananas. Apeeling Gifts for your funny bone and whatever makes people laugh. That's the ticket! Danna Bananas is a fun little gift shop on the web that delights and enchants the young and old. We are a one-stop shop for all your gift-giving needs, from board games to items for the home and fun socks. We sell fun, funny, and unique gifts for all.
Tell us about yourself
I am a solo entrepreneur, and I wanted to create a small business that didn't take itself seriously, like me. As we all know, laughter is the best medicine, especially in tough times. I was and still am passionate about finding a unique collection of funny gifts for one and all.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Visualizing the ideal unique shopping experience and creating an amusing web store from scratch that is fun to shop on is a huge accomplishment. Running my own business and making all the decisions is hands-down one of the most creative things I've ever done. Danna Bananas: A gift store that invokes amusement, curiosity, and hilarity...a platform to bring joy and laughter has brought much pleasure to my life.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
Making business decisions on your own on a daily basis can be frustrating and challenging. Since you are an entrepreneur, you wear many hats and do all the work yourself. You never finish working as there is always something to do.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
I am no expert, but here are a few lessons I've learned along the way.
1. Creating and running a small business is extremely tough work, but it can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding as well.
2. As it will be challenging at times, seek out as much help as you can get. Your business will be what it is because you asked for help.
3. Believe in yourself! "If you believe it, you will achieve it!" This is true and a perfect example of how our thoughts create our reality.
4. Ask smart people stupid 😉 questions!
5. Mentors will play an important role in your entrepreneurial journey. A family member, friend, an acquaintance...pay them for their expertise and advice, and be your cheerleader!
6. The best advice comes from within. Find someone to help you find the answers within yourself and to bounce ideas off of.
7. As an entrepreneur, you wear many hats. Take time off and take a break! This is essential for mental health.
8. As an entrepreneur, you have to start at the bottom and grow your business step by step!
9. There will always be obstacles! When the going gets tough, there will be times when you are stuck. Listen to that voice within and take time to stop, reflect, listen and adjust...keep going!
10. Perseverance is a key to achieving success.
11. I learn something every day, and you're never too old to do so!`
12. Be Humble and gracious to everyone in your life!
13. Celebrate your accomplishments!
14. Be thankful!
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Running my own business is hard work, but at the same time, it gives me great joy that I have created something that makes people laugh.
Where can people find you and your business?