50 Reminders for When School Starts
Another school year will soon be starting and it’s safe to say this one will be very different from the years past. We’re all nervous and cautious about heading back, but at the same time, I’m getting all sentimental and sucky. I’m starting to reminisce about your first day of kindergarten, how big you’re getting and how fast time is going.
For now, I’m going to pull it together because there are things you need to know. You already understand the importance of saying “please” and not peeing on the carpet, that stuff is easy. I’m talking about the bigger stuff, like how to be the kind of person you’d be happy to know, and how to navigate this strange new world.
So grab a cheese string and listen up, because this is important.
- I don’t care about your grades, I care about your effort.
- Being popular is overrated. Being kind is not.
- “Crisscross applesauce” means you need to wear underwear. Every day.
- Lunchboxes don’t empty, wipe, disinfect or fill themselves.
- Don’t forget your mask.
- And wear it properly, please! (Cover that cute nose of yours).
- Mean kids suck but sometimes they’re the ones who need a friend the most. Look into that. Stand up for what’s right.
- Play with everyone and be a good friend. Be loyal, don’t gossip. Drama is a waste of time.
- Kicking someone in the shins and running away is, on rare occasion, acceptable.
- I will always have your back no matter what. See above.
- You are the boss of you. And so am I.
- Just because I work from home doesn’t mean I can bring you a snack or throw your ball over the fence at recess.
- Even when we’re not getting along I love you fiercely and beyond all reason.
- Wash your hands. A lot.
- No, we’re not taking the school lizards over Christmas.
- If there’s a winter concert, a cash bar would be appreciated. Tell your teacher.
- I think we both know I’m not baking anything.
- I’m not buying a poinsettia.
- I’m only buying ONE poinsettia.
- Still wearing your mask? Good.
- Our cats are not show-and-tell material.
- Your friends are always welcome into our backyard. Tell them to wash their hands.
- Saying “no” and disappointing you absolutely kills me but I always have your best interests in mind.
- You can’t control what others do or how they handle the situation we’re in right now. You can only control what you do. Remember that.
- The kid who says I’m not your “real” mom needs to come and see me.
- Your hair looks great. Stop playing with it.
- No, you can’t have an iPhone.
- Girls and boys deserve equal rights and opportunities. Never forget this.
- Don’t bother asking because I have no idea where your library books are either.
- Nope, sorry, can’t help you with math. Still don’t understand it.
- No, you don’t “have to” go to school just like I don’t “have to” make dinner or let you live here.
- Blood, bones, and barf are the only reasons I want to hear from the school during the day. Otherwise, get an ice pack.
- If you hurt someone, say sorry.
- No one can touch you without your permission.
- The toilets at school are the same as the toilets at home. You flush there so …
- You decide what matters and how you’ll approach each day.
- Wash your hands. I can’t emphasize this one enough.
- No, I can’t envision a real-life scenario where you’ll need to do long division either.
- Sometimes things suck, but we’ll get through it together.
- Be curious. Ask questions. Challenge authority (not mine). Be bold. Be brave.
- You’re perfect just the way you are. If you could see yourself through my eyes you would know this.
- Boys are trouble.
- Boys are awesome.
- Mistakes are a sign that you’re trying. Keep going. Persevere.
- Trust your gut.
- I love watching you play.
- I still want to hold your hand and kiss you goodbye.
- It’s okay if you don’t want to hold my hand or kiss me goodbye.
- I love you.